Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Shout out!

Happy Birthday to the baby of the family, Joe! I'm lame. The card isn't even in the mail yet!

When I was twelve years old, my parents were doing foster care and I loved every minute of it. I was all about babies and feeding them bottles and taking them for walks. In the late afternoon, a phone call came from Social Services that a newborn baby boy needed a home. My mom wasn't sure....kind of on the wire about it....until I came over---while she was on the phone---begging and waving and getting her attention with my obnoxious head nodding. She caved and said "Sure...". Little Joey was delivered to us. He had WHITE blonde hair and was so tiny. Oh, man! If only I had access to my mom's photos! I would post away, because this little baby was beyond cute. Love at first site for me.

My dad pulled in the driveway and made his way in the back door to find me holding our new little blonde baby. This was before the age of cell phones, so he had no idea what had transpired during the day and that his family had a new addition. But, if you know my dad, he is pretty laid back and LOVES babies, so, no big deal. Pull up another highchair to the kitchen table.

Two years later, I got to miss school and go to the courthouse to watch my brother get legally adopted into our crazy family. He went from adorable baby, to quirky toddler, to active boy and now is a wonderful husband.

Love ya, Joe! Hope you have a great day! Now, off to get that card in the mail....

2 comments:

DAD/ POP-POP said...

Like I always said, I would ask how many are going to be at the dinner table, not what are we having. Great to see how each of the family has handled themselves and moved on to greater things. Happy Birthday Joe, just in case you read this blog.
Thanks Jan, nice job.
Love To All

Charlene Austin (Willow01) said...

So what you are saying is that you have "collected" kids for a long time! LOL. Happy Birthday to your brother Joe....make sure you send him a card!! Have a good day, Janet!